Summer Solstice Arrives

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

They're rolling out the guns again, hurroo....

As I read the morning news (and evening and nightly), I wonder if peace and justice will ever be possible for so many of the world's peoples. I cannot help but think of an old Irish ballad/lament entitled "Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye"that although many know(especially in the more familiar version of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again") fewer know of the last stanza that calls out for action against war and it's terrible tragedy.

After a number of verses detailing the terrible damage and toil that war takes on those who answer the call to fight, the last verse makes no bones about what needs to be done:

"They're rolling out the guns again, hurroo, hurroo
They're rolling out the guns again, hurroo, hurroo
They're rolling out the guns again,
But they never will take our sons again,
No they never will take our sons again,
Johnny I'm swearing to ye"

I first heard the full version of this song on a wonderful LP of Martha Schlamme singing at Carnegie Hall that my mother had and would play for my sister and I.

For those interested and willing to take a stand against war I recommend (among others), the following organizations that have a long and distinguished record of trying to stem the tides of war:

War Resisters League at http://www.warresisters.org/
The Fellowship of Reconciliation at http://www.forusa.org/
The American Friends Service Committee at http://www.afsc.org/

Perhaps this will be year in which the seeds of peace and love can be sown more fully.

Peace and Blessings,

Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment